Skincaretips from a model
First of all, let me tell you something: models don’t always have glowing skin either. Because of all the traveling, a lot of make-up, little sleep and a busy schedule, many models sometimes also suffer from troubled skin. I also know what it is like to be insecure about your skin and hardly dare to leave the house because you have a troubled skin. I’ve tried a lot over the years and finally found a skincare routine that I’m very happy with. That’s why I decided to write a blog about my daily skincare routine and I hope I can help you a step further to good skin!
I want to presume that every skin type is completely different and what works very well for me may not be ideal for you. Hormones play an important role and I also believe that having a healthy lifestyle contributes to better skin. I always try to get enough sleep, don’t drink too much alcohol, exercise, try to have minimal stress and to have a healthy diet with enough nutrients. And of course I don’t smoke. I notice that my skin is less good when I travel and fly a lot, sleep less, travel trough cities and work a lot (which means I wear a lot of make-up). Now that I am in quarantine and have a lot of time to relax, I notice that my skin enjoys it and calms down. The photos attached to this blog were taken this morning without makeup, after my skincare routine.
Please note that this blog is not an advertisement and I am not paid for naming the products. I just love the products and would like to share this with you!
Morning skincare routine
- The first step in a good morning skincareroutine is to clean your face. First of all, I wash my face with cold to lukewarm water and Dermologica Ultra Calming Cleanser (43 euros for 250 ml). This is a very nice facial cleanser for sensitive skin. I am a big fan of the brand Dermalogica. It is very good for sensitive skin and they have many different lines for different skin types. You can have your skin examined in the stores and receive personal advice for which line suits your skin type.
- After cleaning, I really like to use a toner. First I pat my face dry with a clean towel and then I apply the toner on my skin with a cottonpad. A toner strengthens the skin barrier and moisture balance and protects and soothes the skin. My favorite toner is an alcohol-free toner that I always buy in America: Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Rose Petal toner (8-12 euros for 355 ml). This contains rose water, witch hazel extract and aloe vera. Many similar toners can be found.
- I use a serum after the toner. I notice a big difference, my skin just gets a little extra hydration. My favorite serum is Amino Acids + B5 van The Ordinary (6.80 for 30ml). This serum consists of amino acids and vitamin B5 and provides hydration, skin repair and supports healthy skin. I apply a few drops and let it absorb well. The Ordinary has a lot of affordable serums, definitely recommended!
- After the serum it is time for a good nourishing moisturizer. It is very important that there is a sun factor in the day cream. I use the cream of the Clear Start line from Dermologica: Clearing Defense SPF30 (29 euros for 59ml). This one is really perfect for my skin.
- To finish, I apply some 8 Hour Cream from Elisabeth Arden (prices differ: 15-30 euros for 50ml) on my lips.
After a long day, it’s time for my evening routine. I never, really néver, go to bed without this routine.
Evening skincare routine
- The first step is to remove your makeup with a makeup cleanser or micellar water. I remove my make-up with Bioderma Micellar Water (prices vary: 15 to 20 euros per 500ml). This is my favorite makeup remover and is also widely used during photo shoots and fashion shows. It really removes all makeup, even that very sticky waterproof mascara!
- After that it is important to clean your face again. I wash my face with the aforementioned Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser when I am not in a city and had a relax day at home. Have I been outside a lot and has my skin been in contact with pollution? Then I use the Exfolactic Cleanser van 111Skin (55 euros for 120 ml). This ensures thorough cleaning. The anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory rosemary base soothes the skin and is also good for treating impurities. As a result, I also experience less tight pores.
- Also in the evening I use a toner after cleaning. In my case this is again the Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Rose Petal toner.
- Then I usually apply a serum again (The Ordinary – Amino Acids + B5). It is also good to regularly exfoliate your skin. This removes dead skin cells and this can reduce impurities or pigmentation. But be aware: it can make your skin more sensitive to UV rays and thus cause skin aging. So don’t exfoliate too often and take a good look at what seems to work for your skin. There are different types of exfoliators on the market for different price categories. I exfoliate my skin about 2 times a week with the Clinical Exfoliator van 111skin (100 euros for 100ml). This is a powerful yet gentle exfoliator used to refine the complexion, smooth and brighten the skin. I put a little bit (a little pea) on a cottonpad and apply this on my skin.
- Also in the evening I apply some 8 Hour cream from Elisabeth Arden on my lips.
I hope I was able to inspire you with an insight into my skincare routine. Of course you can also use other products, but the step-by-step plan is always good to stick on (1. removing makeup 2. cleaning 3. toning 4. moisturizing and 5. protecting). Oh another golden (but not always easy) tip: stop touching your skin and leave pimples alone!
We keep in touch!